Risk Ledger is seeking a Backend Engineer to join our team and take part in shaping & building the systems underlying our innovative supply chain security product.
We're on a mission to improve the security maturity of the global supply chain ecosystem, reducing the number of data breaches experienced through supply chain attacks by companies and consumers alike. We're passionate about providing value to all our users from the largest of enterprises down to the smallest of businesses in every industry.
This is why we are looking for an Engineer who will not only work collaboratively on our product experience, deliver & maintain features for our customer base, but who will also have the opportunity to develop their technical and organisational skills in a fast-paced startup environment.
- You love delivering an awesome product. You’ll be working on software that our customers interact with every day, collaborating with designers, product managers, other engineers and the wider business to create a great product experience and continuously ship value to our users.
- You are a self-starter, who loves to learn and grow. You are able to take the initiative and share your knowledge with others. You are ready to discuss the broader ramifications of your work, challenge assumptions, ask "why" and push yourself to find the right answers.
- You want to develop your Backend and Architecture expertise, including an understanding of distributed systems and how things fail. You will have the opportunity to help shape the future architecture of Risk Ledger and the freedom to work with others across infrastructure, application and frontend as you see fit.
- You care about backend tooling and you have opinions on what makes good tooling for engineers at a high performance startup, and consider how to build better and improve processes.
- You care about quality and testing. You enjoy moving fast while maintaining a high quality of code through testing, reducing complexity, striving for consistency, implementing best practices and both actively seeking and giving thoughtful feedback.
- You believe collaboration is key, with clear & consistent communication. You appreciate the impact of clear and thoughtful communication with others, both in-person and written, including articulating your proposals and decisions through excellent documentation.
- You enjoy being a generalist. We are building an amazing and talented team from a diverse set of backgrounds and skill sets. Our engineers are empowered to work in all areas of our platform, and across all areas of the business, directly contributing to the wider success of the company.
- You have experience, and are able to demonstrate an ability to work proficiently in a team with a variety of skill levels.
Salary & Benefits
- 💰 Base salary, depending on level of experience, of £60,000 to £70,000.
- 📈 Generous EMI stock options.
- 💻 The equipment you need to get the job done.
- 🚀 An opportunity to work on a exciting cybersecurity product with a young, growing startup.
- 👌 Flexible working with fully-serviced London office.
- 📚 All the learning resources and books you want to aid in your personal development.
- 🏖 32 days of holiday a year - take a break, enjoy yourself!
- ✈️ Up to an additional 30 days of unpaid leave a year to use as you wish..
- 🎉 Regular socials to unwind and have some fun.
Ways of Working
- We work in project-based cycles, documented in Notion, ticketed in Linear.
- Everyone is encouraged to write proposals for improvements or features.
- Our code is in a monorepo on GitHub, we all take part in code review and deploy our own work to production several times a day.
- Our backend consists of containerised Go microservices communicating over gRPC and emitting events over pub/sub.
- Our primary database is PostgreSQL.
- We host our platform on AWS, managed by Terraform.
- We use CloudWatch, Honeycomb.io & LogRocket for observability, and Incident.io for incident response.
- Our data stack consists of BigQuery, dbt, Segment, Census and Metabase.
About Risk Ledger
We're a London-based startup, with a mission to solve the problem of security risk in the supply chain, globally. The world runs on data, with every business relationship involving a great degree of trust. We facilitate that trust. Risk Ledger offers a secure social network model for organisations to connect and share their security and risk data.
Risk Ledger is backed by multiple high-profile VCs, including Lifeline Ventures, firstminute capital, Seedcamp, Village Global and Episode 1. We're already working with a number of great companies across multiple verticals to achieve our vision, including the likes of ASOS, Snyk, BAE Systems and the NHS.
We are building an amazing and talented team from a diverse set of backgrounds and skill sets to help us grow and build a truly special company. With ambitious growth plans, this is the perfect opportunity to put your stamp on a fun, fast-paced, early-stage startup.
How to Apply
Email us your CV to
Tell us a bit about yourself, how you found Risk Ledger & a few sentences about an interesting problem or project you've worked on recently and what you learnt.
We'll be in touch with next steps as quickly as we can.